Welcome Potential First Readers!
Recently, in order to make our submission process more accessible for the #RevPit community, we made the following changes:
- Removed the submission limit so that editors received all the submissions directed their way during the submission window.
- Expanded the submission window to cover three full days so that people in all time zones and with work and other commitments wouldn’t be disadvantaged in submitting.
- Expanded the number of editors authors could select to three (instead of two) so authors had one more opportunity for an editor to fall in love with their submission.
First Readers are an integral part of making this possible by providing editors additional information to help them pick which story is best for them.
What Do First Readers Do?
First Readers will read and evaluate the first five pages of each submission assigned to them. Each may receive up to 100 submissions within their chosen genre(s) and age category(s). Content warnings will also be considered. Please plan up to 20 hours over the two-week window. Please note: First Readers are not eligible to enter the annual contest the year they act as First Reader but may enter in future years.
You will receive training on how to evaluate the submissions, and there will be a report card allocated to each reader that looks at three main categories:
- Connection to the main character
- Writing style (craft: conflict and tension, show don’t tell, grammar)
- Narrative voice/POV
What’s In It For Me? (WIIFM)
Our group of professional editors will be offering multiple free online courses to all our First Readers. Our First Reader group will be polled to ensure the content offered is reflective of what’s in-demand. These could range anywhere from how to become a freelance editor, how to format a manuscript, or even how to edit your manuscript through use of macros. Of course, if there is demand, courses will be created on writing and style craft.
The purpose of these courses is to better position our readers in the industry, so they might grow their own businesses and editorial savvy.
What Are We Looking For In A First Reader?
Our ideal candidates have experience with one or more of the following:
- Have interned with a publishing house
- Have interned with a literary agency
- Have experience reading slush piles
- Have experience with online media, and choosing content for publication
- Are an agented author
- Are an agent
- Are an editor
- Have been a Critique Partner (have offered and received critique that was mutually beneficial)
- Are an avid reader with knowledge of writing craft
What is the timeframe?
- November 1st: Application deadline
- November 8th: Sample test deadline
- December 18: applicants will be notified of participation in the program
- January/February: First Reader Training (exact dates TBD)
- March 17th - March 25th (subject to change): First Readers review submissions
- Summer: Workshops offered by the editors (exact dates TBD)
If this sounds like you, and you’d like to join the #RevPit First Readers Program for 2023, then fill out the First Reader Application here! We look forward to hearing from you.